Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Perception of Violence part III

In parts I and II I talk about perception and how it effects our truth. I also compared the violence of Mexico and the United States and how we view each. I think I've shown in some small way that the violence in the United States is horrific and yet, we go about our daily routines as if we're really quite safe. I should've added that many of us are. However, many are not. I've shown that while the violence in Mexico is also horrific and worse than the United States, it's not the apocalyptic nightmare that we've been led to believe. So why do we think it is? Why, do we ignore the violence in our own country but fixate on the violence of another? Honestly, I do not know, but I have some ideas that I'll share.

I don't think there is one simple explanation for our perception concerning violence. Ignorance, arrogance, laziness and self preservation all play a part.

It's always struck me odd that our country has been dominating the world stage since at least the second world war, yet we are the most ignorant of it. Any study of American's understanding of geography,world politics, or world history proves this point. Additionally we are poorly traveled. The world continues to get smaller and yet we don't travel it as much as other world players. Americans are less likely to travel exstensivley outside of our own borders as say a German or Japanese. One of the main benefits of travel is the exchange of ideas. Another is understanding that many places we once feared that once traveled aren't so scary. You begin to see people in foreign lands as people like you, who simply want to raise a family and send their kids to school. A strong example of this is the Rotary International Exchange program. The REP stated goal is "Peace through Exchange". They believe that the more our children live and travel in foreign lands and the more children from those lands do the same here, the more we'll understand and appreciate foreign cultures. The past few years we have hosted three wonderful young women from Chile, Turkey and Germany. Each reinforced my belief in the power of travel. During this period of time I sent my own daughter to live in Turkey for ten months. This was a life changing event for her and a reinforcing event for me. During the three years we were involved in the REP not a single American student was harmed in a foreign land. Conversely during that time at least two REP students were murdered in the United States. Both were random acts of violence. One in Miami and one in Seattle. So yes, ignorance of the outside world is contributing cause of our perception of violence. We see the world as a dangerous place filled with people who want to kill us. So when we see images on tv of the violence in Mexico it reinforces our perception and beliefs. Ignorance is bliss.

From the moment we are born we are instilled with the belief that America is the greatest country on Earth. It is taught and reinforced in our school systems, movies and popular culture. We are taught that as a country we are almost infalliable and it's a crime to suggest anything other than this belief. The punishment for such a crime is to be labeled as Un-American. This is an arrogant belief that blinds us from reality. I'm not suggesting that my country isn't the greatest. What I believe is that we are fallible. That we make mistakes but we strive correct them. This arrogance makes it impossible for us to clear this hurdle. So it's easy for us to believe that our country doesn't have the problems we indeed have. It's easy for the perception of infallibility to be reinforced. The perception that our country is the safest while the rest of the world is dangerous is fed by our arrogance.

Today we work harder than we ever have. When we're not working we're taking the kids to music classes, soccer games and a million other places we have to be in an average American day. By the time we're done running it's late and we're exhausted. We plop down in front of the tv and watch "Real Wives of Where ever" or the ballgame. Some will flip the channels and catch a twenty second piece on cable news about the drug war in Mexico. Few if any will attempt to discover the truth and let's face it, the news does a poor job of giving us the truth. It's a business and it plays to the dollar. Whatever sells will be covered. If it's a portion of the truth that's fine. Just as long as advertisers keep paying. Any any given day, people will be shot and killed in our country, but the national news will not cover it. Drug dealers in Mexico get killed in a shootout and it's played non-stop for days on cable news. It's so much easier to be spoon fed our information than to mine it for ourselves. It's so much easier to accept than it is to question.

If we fully understood how scary our own country is we might be paralyzed with fear. So it's just easier to ignore it. Put your head in the sand and everything will be ok. Poke your head out and ask questions and you'll wish you didn't. It's better to believe your safe and that Mexicans are just waiting for you to cross the border.

Like I said, I honestly don't know why the perception of violence exists. These are merely thoughts I've been working on for awhile. I am convinced that the perception is real. And like I also said if you believe in that perception, than that is your truth.

6 comments:

  1. too wordy - will re-read later. my brain hurts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe there a many reasons why Americans don't travel abroad and fear of being victimized is bottom of the list. It is mostly economic and we are so damn busy living the American dream i.e. career, family, house, car etc. Americans work harder AND longer than most European countries, but we are the figurehead of Capitalism and bootstrap mentality.http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/10/20/debunking-passport-myth/
    I also agree that America is a violent place, more violent than most places. But we are USED to it. Our local news has nothing but horrific stories of violence and abuse, and our entertainment is so violent we have become desensitized to it. But the fact that we see it in foreign places our minds see it for what it is and we transpose our unease there and not at home. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. It's so refreshing to read these words, Shayne. I am far left, and yet in conversations with people on the right, I'm finding that we are more and more in agreement about what's going wrong with our country. We are less physically healthy, we have more of our citizens in prisons, we rape & molest more frequently, we are more obese, and eat crappier food than dozens of other industrialized nations. We often hear how wealthy we are, but if we measured our wealth in just about any other way than money or military, we are ailing, relatively speaking--especially considering how financially well-off we are.
    Plus, as a professional writer and English teacher, well-written, Shayne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, yesterday my brain hurt from work, not from reading your blog.

    As for the blog, today I read it. I agree with much (that a MISperception is probably active wrt people's perception of Mexico), however, I do not believe that the majority of people are ignorant of all there is fear in our own country. Further, even if unaware of one's fear, I believe fear is often what drives so many of the disagreements between many opposing groups that we witness (teabaggers vs liberals vs conservatives vs militia vs antiGuns vs Baptists vs Catholics vs Athiests and on and on and on). Everyone fears some other side and what their way of life might do to their reality (perception?) .... I dont have the answers, I just see lots of fear around me and also know folks who also see such fear. Maybe I will agree however that there are probably more out there oblivious to fear rather than conscious of it (they fear subconsciously)... I think that ignorance is bliss...? And probably a defense mechanism of protection. Maybe thats more what its all about. Whatever the case, what does all this fear/violence say about the current state of humanity? Anything? Or has fear/violence always been constant....?

    There's a question for ya... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of your better posts Shayne. I hope that doesn't sound condescending. That is not how it is intended. I agree with many if not most of your observations. I too have been greatly affected in a positive way by my first hand experiences of people in their home countries, particularly Mexico. I am increasingly concerned by the lack of real personal interaction and open dialogue among individuals. Labels seem to come more easily when as you say, people don't want to mine for the information. People do fear what they do not know and that definitely creates defensiveness. I have not had TV for about two year now. It has been a blessing for me and my kids. As John said, when conversing personally with other people of self professed liberal or conservative points of view they seem to be largely in agreement on the core issues. There are disagreements as to how to resolve the issues of life and society, but they see the same toublesome trends.

    I could go on, but you all get it already. More time really getting to know people and less generalizing would go a long way to healing many wounds and moving toward a healthier society.

    I am going to have to watch my punctuation and spelling knowing that John is watching. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I think you hit it on the head, "ignorance is bliss". I could've wrote that in the beginning but then I wouldn't have anything else to say :).

    Chris,

    I don't take offense at all. I don't pretend to be an expert on any one subject nor to do I profess to be a great writer.

    I do however believe that there are times when I see some things clearly and want to share my opinion.

    I'd like to hear about you Mexican experiences. I happen to love the country and enjoy sharing stories. I'm not sure who you are though. Hit me on Facebook in a private message, if you feel comfortable of course.

    ReplyDelete

Agree, Disagree or simply comment. We likes em' all.